Somewhere Over the Rainbow Cupcakes
This was Dorothy really found in Kansas...Somewhere Over the Rainbow Cupcakes are fun cupcakes for kids, and a delicious trip back in time for adults. Whip some up, the whole family will love them!
If your kids aren’t in love with coconut, substitute vanilla flavoring for the coconut extract in the cake and frosting.
Preparation Time40 min
Cooking Time18 min
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
- Yellow, green, red, blue and purple liquid food color
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 dash of salt
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- Multicolored candy sprinkles, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. Place paper baking cup in each of 12 regular-size muffin cups.
- In small bowl, mix flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat ½ cup butter and the granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at time,
- Measure about ¾ cup batter into each of 5 small bowls. For yellow, stir about 6 drops yellow food color into batter in first bowl. Tint second bowl green, with 6 drops green food color; third bowl red, with about 8 drops red food color; fourth bowl blue, with about 10 drops blue food color; and fifth bowl purple, with about 8 drops red food color and 3 drops blue food color.
- Spoon scant tablespoon of yellow batter into each cup; smooth to edge of baking cup with back of spoon. Repeat with green, red, blue and purple batters (fill cups to ¾ full).
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack to cool.
- In large bowl, beat 1 ½ cups butter, the powdered sugar and salt with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in 4 tablespoons of the milk, ½ teaspoon vanilla and ¼ teaspoon coconut extract. Add remaining milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until frosting is smooth and spreadable. Beat until fluffy.
- Pipe or frost about ¼ cup frosting onto each cupcake. Sprinkle with multicolored sprinkles.
If Using a Cake Mix
Substitute 1 box white cake mix for the Cupcakes above. Make cake mix as directed on box for cupcakes, and follow steps 3 and 4 as directed in recipe. For the frosting, substitute 1 container vanilla creamy ready-to-spread frosting mixed with ¼ teaspoon coconut extract. Bake and cool as directed on box. Frost and garnish as directed in recipe. 22 cupcakes
Read NextUnion Jack Cupcakes