Butternut Squash Bread
Instead of soup, make Butternut Squash Bread with your fresh butternut squash! Learn how to bake butternut squash bread so you can surprise your family.
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 salt
- 7 cups all-purpose flour, more if needed
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 min.
- Add squash, milk, eggs, butter, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Gradually add 3-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 min.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Punch dough down. Shape into three loaves; place in greased 8-inch by 4-inch by 2-inch loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 min.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tops are golden. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Read NextSimple Amish White Bread