Italian Veal and Vegetable Soup
This warm and comforting soup is perfect for a cold or rainy night. Italian Veal and Vegetable Soup can also be a topping, poured over rice or noodles.
- 1/2 veal cubes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 slices lean bacon, chopped (or substitute 2 slices Canadian bacon)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup flour (or more if needed)
- 28 can Italian plum tomatoes w/puree
- 3 can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 14 can lo-salt chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large carrots, cut into diagonal slices
- 4 white mushrooms
- 1 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, thinly sliced
1. In large Dutch oven (or very large non-stick skillet), cook chopped bacon on medium heat. Drain fat. Add onion, garlic, and fennel seeds. Cook until onion is soft. Push onion mixture to side in pan.
2. Dredge veal cubes in flour. Add to pan. Brown lightly on all sides, about 8 minutes. Combine onion mixture and veal cubes. Add tomato paste, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Then add tomatoes, wine, chicken broth, thyme, bay leaves, and carrots. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and zucchini. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes, or until mushrooms and zucchini have softened. Serve over rice or egg noodles.
Read NextVeal Scaloppini Alla Parmigiana