Holiday Butternut Squash Soup
Holiday Butternut Squash Soup is one of the best vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes to give to non-turkey eaters or just to balance the heavy meal. A butternut squash soup recipe is one of those perfect make-ahead Thanksgiving squash recipes.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 large yam
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- 4 large red potatoes, cubed (soaked and drained)
- 1 large yam, cubed (soaked and drained)
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and soaked)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds.
- Rub inside of both squash halves with oil and roast for 45 minutes.
- Roast whole bulb of garlic for 30 minutes.
- Add oil to pot and turn burner to low.
- Julienne onion, dice leek, and add to pot.
- Cook on low for as long as possible without burning, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Cube yam and potatoes and place in a bowl of water. Soak for 10 minutes to remove starch.
- Once onions have caramelized, add vegetable stock to pot. Add potatoes and yam.
- Rinse and soak chickpeas in water for 10 minutes and bring soup to a boil.
- Drain and add chickpeas. Add salt, pepper, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
- When garlic has finished roasting, peel it and add to soup.
- When butternut squash has finished roasting, scoop squash from peel into the soup.
- Simmer soup for 30 minutes or until potatoes and yam are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and blend soup in the pot with a hand blender. Once smooth and creamy, let soup cook for a few more minutes.
- Add more maple syrup, salt, and pepper if needed. To make it spicy, add 1/ 8 to 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Serve with garlic toast and garnish with a sprinkle of cayenne, parsley, or both.
Read NextGreat Grandma's Famous Stuffing
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use
Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.