Flan de Camote
Bring gourmet to your Thanksgiving menu with this Flan de Camote (a sweet potato flan). It's a popular dish at Frida Restaurant at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, and is sure to be a hit for holiday dessert recipes at your house.
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2-cups cubed)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large eggs
- For Caramel Topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 ounce water
For Sweet Potato Flan:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces and place in a large saucepan.
- Add cold water to cover the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cover with a lid. Boil 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- While potatoes cook, add the 1/4 sugar and 12 cup water to a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until sugar dissolves, about 1 minute.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves. Simmer 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- When potatoes are cooked, puree in a food processor or mash them.
- Sieve the sugar solution and add the syrup to the potatoes. Mix well.
- Blend in the whipping cream, evaporated milk, condensed milk and eggs. Blend until smooth.
- Place sugar and water in the skillet over medium heat.
- Dissolve the sugar completely. Shake the skillet in a circular motion to help sugar dissolve.
- Do not let the liquid boil until all of the sugar is dissolved. The liquid will be clear, not cloudy.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until it reaches a caramel or light golden brown color.
- Remove from heat and roll the syrup around the skillet to cover the bottom and sides.
- Place the skillet aside to harden the caramel.
- When the caramel is hardened, pour the potato mixture into the skillet.
- Place the skillet in a roasting pan and fill the pan three quarters filled with warm water.
- Place in the oven on the middle shelf. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Test to see if it is set. Insert a knife into the mixture. It should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and roasting pan and set aside to cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Slip a knife around the top edges and turn out onto a serving plate.
- The caramel will come out as a liquid covering the filling.
- Slice or spoon the flan onto individual dishes and spoon some sauce over it.
Read NextOrange Bourbon Cranberry Sauce