White Bean Stew
This White Bean Stew is one of the most delicious easy dinner ideas you'll ever make. Made with ground beef, Great Northern beans, tomato, onion, red pepper flakes, spinach, and Italian spices, this is one hearty stew you won't want to miss. Hearty enough to make for dinner and easy to save for meals throughout the week, this is a great meal for those who want to eat healthy without compromising on flavor. A great family meal that makes for a great way to feed your kids their veggies and protein, this is a great stew recipe you'll want to keep around.
To make in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place all ingredients into an oven-safe stockpot. Cover and bring to a boil on top of the stove. Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
To make ahead:
- Complete the cooking process as above, then cool completely (stir often and check that the center is cool) before placing into the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- To reheat, place oven-safe stockpot into a 325 degrees F oven for about 30 minutes, stirring once or twice until stew is warmed through.
For another great way to cook with beans, try this reader favorite recipe for Smoky BBQ Bean Bake.
Cooking Time40 min
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic
- 3 cups stemmed and coarsely chopped kale, chard or spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Italian dry seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 (40-ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, packed in puree, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup water
- Place a 5.2 quart stockpot over medium-high heat and crumble the ground beef into the pot.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. The meat may remain pink at this point but should be nicely browned on the edges and onions will have softened.
- Drain the meat mixture in a colander set over a large bowl and return drained meat to the stockpot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, adding the beans, tomatoes and water last. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve directly from the stockpot; sprinkle each serving with more chopped parsley if desired.
1. Gather your ingredients:
2. Begin by breaking up your ground beef inside your pot:
3. Brown the beef:
4. Add onions and garlic:
5. Add the red wine or sherry vinegar:
6. Cut up the whole canned tomatoes:
7. Add can with puree to beef mixture:
8. Add the white (Great Northern) beans:
9. Stir this mixture together:
10. Add parsley and your choice of greens:
11. Stir together:
12. Add salt and pepper:
13. Lastly, add 1 cup water:
14. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Read NextShortcut Beef Stew
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Oct 06, 2018
This White Bean Stew is comfort food at its finest. A combination of fresh vegetables (I used spinach) and herbs combined and slow simmered to bring out all their rich flavors. An added bonus for me is that its all made in one pot making clean up so easy. The only thing you need with this stew is a nice loaf of crispy Italian bread on the side. This is truly a hardy, satisfying stew, that your family will love.
Jun 27, 2017
Now this White Bean Stew recipe is one that I am really looking forward to making because I have not had a good, hearty bean stew in years. I am also interested to taste what it is like when using chard, kale or spinach because I have not ever used those in a bean stew before. The ingredients look great and I am sure it is going to be really delicious!
Aug 14, 2015
This was one of the best stews I've ever had. The balance of flavors was excellent. Will definitely make it again and again and again! For those that like it spicy - you'll want to add a little bit of heat. Could see it done with either a jalapeno or by some hot sauce. But as the recipe is - it's very good!
Aug 14, 2015
A hearty, comforting, and filling stew. Would definitely make again!
Aug 14, 2015
Simple but tasty, yum. Next time I might use a little less beans in the recipe.
Aug 13, 2015
I loved the addition of ground beef in this recipes. The white beans and spices made this hearty and tasty. I would definitely make this in the winter.
Aug 13, 2015
This stew is filled with flavor! I would use Italian sausage bext time for even more flavor in every bite!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use