King Ranch Chicken Soup
This take on a cheesy chicken tortilla soup is inspired by a famously good casserole recipe!
If you've ever had a king ranch chicken casserole before, you'll have an idea of what this soup is all about.
It's basically just a deconstructed version of the casserole in a hot and comforting bowl of soup. It's got a little kick from some chili powder, but isn't too overpowering, and if you're not much for spicy foods, it's easy to leave it out.
Chicken breast, a variety of delicious spices, and plenty of Velveeta make this soup creamy, cheesy, and full of flavor. Once you try this King Ranch Chicken Soup recipe, it may become one of your family's new favorite dishes!
Preparation Time30 min
Cooking Time45 min
- 1 large Roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional) pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 cup chopped baby carrots
- 1 cup chopped crimini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 (4-ounce) package cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
In a large dutch oven, heat the oil and saute onion, celery, mushrooms, peppers, and garlic 2-3 minutes until vegetables are transparent. Toss chicken with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and add to the pan. Saute, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
Add tomatoes and broth bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in cream cheese and velveeta. Return to a simmer and stir until cheese is melted and soup is smooth. Remove from the heat once again and stir in half and half. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
Serve ladled into individual bowls, topped with a cilantro, raw onion, tortilla strips and lime wedges at the table to add to each serving as desired.
Don't keep 2 cups of half and half on hand? No problem! Make your own using this guide: How to Make Half and Half.
For even more soups to keep you cozy, try our"12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes" Free eCookbook
Read NextCreamy Ham and Potato Chowder