Authentic Amish Potato Soup
When you want the best traditional potato soup recipes, there's only one place to go: Amish country. This recipe for Authentic Amish Potato Soup has all of the classic components of a great old-fashioned potato soup. With onion and bacon adding delicious flavor and rivlets adding an extra bit of texture, this rich and creamy soup is one of the best Amish cooking recipes we've come across. Make it once and it's sure to become a staple in your household!
Cooking Time20 min
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- salt, as needed
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- water to cover potatoes
- 2 slices bacon, fried (not too crisp)
- FOR THE RIVLETS
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
Bring stock or water to a boil and add onions, potatoes and other seasonings. Boil about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
Stir in cooked bacon.
Prepare the rivlets: Combine flour and salt. Mix in egg until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir rivlets into soup mixture and cook until they are done.
Read NextOld-Fashioned Potato Soup