Just Like Mom's Old Fashioned Stuffing
Just Like Mom's Old Fashioned Stuffing is an easy side dish recipe that will bring everyone at your table joy this holiday season. Moist and warm, when fresh out of the oven, this is one easy stuffing recipe you'll turn to year after year. Nothing is better or more delicious than a hefty helping of fluffy, golden brown stuffing, and this recipe is so perfectly seasoned and super simple to make. You'll never need another stuffing recipe once your guests have had a bite of this dish -- you're biggest problem will be wondering whether you made enough to go around twice!
Be sure to ENTER TO WIN a Joseph Joseph Thanksgiving Prep Set to use while making this recipe! Leave a comment on this page and you will receive a bonus entry. Don't miss the grand prize giveaway including one of each prize featured in the 10 Days of Thanks!
- Poultry seasoning is a pre-mixed blend of sage, pepper, marjoram, rosemary and thyme. If you don’t have the premixed version, you can make a combination of the spices, mixing well, then measure out 1 teaspoon.
- This is the classic version but if you would like to experiment, there are many additions you can make to the basic recipe. Try adding ½ cup of one or more of the following, cut into small pieces: mushrooms, carrot, apples, cranberries, or nuts.
If you're looking for some great, main dish ideas to go with your fresh, summer sides, try our collection, 31 Easy Dinner Recipes for August.
There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this post. Duplicate comments are not tallied.
The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
The winner will be contacted on the morning of November 20th, 2017.
Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account)
You have until November 19th, 2017 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
How do you serve stuffing?
Answer below for your chance to win!
Cooking Time1 hr 15 min
Cooking MethodCasserole, Oven
Cooking Vessel Size9 x 13-inch casserole dish
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped celery, including some of the leaves if available
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (see note)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 5 eggs
- 1 (12-ounce) package herbed stuffing mix (about 8 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter or drippings (see note)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat and saute the celery, onion and spices until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then add the sauted vegetables and stir in the stuffing mix and broth until completely moistened. Pour mixture into the prepared casserole and bake for 1 hour until puffy and golden brown, but the center is completely cooked. (Test with a toothpick or knife in the center it should come out clean with no liquid attached.)
Optional: About 15 minutes before stuffing is completely done baking, chop 2 tablespoons butter into small bits and drop it over the surface or, if you have it available, spoon 2 tablespoons of drippings from a roasting chicken or turkey over the top and finish baking.
Read NextSouthern Baked Mac And Cheese