Hog Island Grilled Cheese
This fantastic Hog Island Grilled Cheese is one of the tastiest gourmet grilled cheese recipes. If you've never had a gourmet grilled cheese well you must get on that now! This sandwich is a delicious cheese explosion!
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 8 sandwich-size slices pain au levain (or use sourdough bread)
- 4 ounces Fromage blanc cream cheese (you can substitute Greek yogurt)
- 4 ounces GruyÃ¨re cheese, coarsely grated (or use ComtÃ© or Swiss)
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 4 ounces Havarti cheese, coarsely grated
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place 4 slices, buttered side down, on your work surface.
- Spread the fromage blanc on each slice. Layer with the Gruyère, cheddar, and Havarti cheeses. You may need to use your hand to compress the cheese.
- Top with the remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
Cooking for stovetop method:
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Put the sandwiches into the pan, cover, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the undersides are golden brown.
- Turn the sandwiches, pressing each one firmly with a spatula to flatten slightly.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the undersides are well browned.
- Remove the cover, turn the sandwiches once more, and press firmly with the spatula once again.
- Cook for 1 minute, or until the cheese has melted completely. (You may need to peek inside to make sure.) |
- Remove from the pan and let cool for 5 minutes. Cut in half and serve.
For sandwich maker method:
- Preheat the sandwich maker. Follow directions for assembly above.
- Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Read NextClassic Patty Melt