How to Make Pizza Dough
Learn how to make homemade pizza dough and enjoy the very best artisan-style pizzas whenever you like!
If you've ever had a craving for pizza but don't want to order delivery, it's time you learned how to make your own homemade pizza dough so that you can make delicious, hand-crafted, pizza whenever you'd like! This homemade dough is super easy to make and takes less than 2 hours to complete from start to finish. All you need are a few simple ingredients you can get at your local grocer. You'll need active dry yeast, sugar, flour, salt, olive oil, and warm water. Next, you just need to combine them (see exactly how below), and then your dough rise in a warm area for about an hour. Once complete, you're free to create your very own pizza based on your favorite ingredients and toppings. Make pizza night a bigger event when you create your very own dough from scratch!
How to Make Pizza Dough from Scratch
Yield: 2 pizzas about 12 inches each
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus 1-hour proof time
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
1. In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup add the warm water. Whisk in the yeast and sugar. Let sit for 15 minutes until the yeast mixture bubbles up.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk the flour with the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour. Add the olive oil and yeast.
3. Using a folk stir the flour into the oil and yeast mixture until incorporated.
4. Once combined, turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough until smooth.
5. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, turning the dough ball over so it coated with the oil. Cover the bowl with a clean cotton or linen towel or plastic wrap. Let sit for an hour in a warm spot until the dough has doubled in size.
6. On a lightly floured surface gently knead the dough a few times. Divide the dough into two equal sized balls.
7. If not using the dough immediately wrap in plastic wrap.
Notes: The dough balls can be frozen for future use. After wrapping each in plastic wrap place into a freezer bag. Use within 2-3 months.
Take a look at the step-by-step photo below for a better idea of how to make this simple homemade pizza dough:
In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, add warm water, then whisk in the yeast and sugar.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour with the salt.
Make a well in the center of the flour. Add the olive oil.
Then add the yeast.
Using a folk, stir the flour into the oil and yeast mixture until incorporated.
Once combined, turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough until smooth.
Place the dough into an oiled bowl, turning the dough ball over so it coated with the oil.
Cover the bowl with a clean cotton or linen towel or plastic wrap. Let sit for an hour in a warm spot until the dough has doubled in size.
When your dough has risen and you're ready to make a pizza, take it out of the covered bowl and lay it out some parchment paper. Roll it out into an approximate 12-inch round (you will likely have enough dough for 2 pizzas). Spread pizza sauce of your choice (or other topping, such as the pesto shown below) over the dough with a spoon.
Next, add your toppings and cheese.
Brush the crust area with olive oil, and bake in the oven. For best results, bake your pizza on your oven's highest setting (400-450 degrees F) for about 10 minutes. Make sure to check on it at this point, and then cook to desired crispiness (usually no longer than 5 more minutes; 15-20 minutes total - you don't want to burn the crust!)
6 Homemade Pizza Recipes
The easy homemade pizza recipes below will give you a chance to show off your new pizza dough making skills! Ditch the greasy box and delivery charge, and impress your friends and family with these delicious pizzas. Any one of the recipes below can be made with homemade dough, so grab your toppings and sauce, and get cooking!
Read NextThe Best Chicago Deep Dish Recipe