This meat and cheese pack filled lasagna can feed and satisfy any hungry man. With three different cheeses, this hearty Lumberjack Lasagna will leave you loosening your belts. It will top your other lasagna recipes.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage meat, hot or sweet
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cans (28-ounces) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (12-ounces) tomato paste
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 15 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 5 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- For the sauce, In a 5-quart Dutch Oven over medium heat saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until translucent. Add the sausage and beef, stir frequently until both sausage and beef are well browned.
- Add sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, basil, oregano, fennel, pepper, and half the parsley, mix well (some red pepper flakes can be added if you want some bite to the sauce).
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/2 cup water, mashing tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally until it thickens. (Approx. 1 1/2 hours) Put Aside.
- In a 8-quart kettle, bring 3 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling. Add lasagna and allow water to return to a boil, uncovered and continue stirring until they are tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Dry lasagna on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In medium sized bowl, combine ricotta or cottage cheese, egg, remaining parsley and 1/2 teaspoon salt, mix well.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups sauce into a 9x13x2 inch baking dish. Layer with 3-4 of the lasagna noodles lengthwise and overlapping, to cover.
- Spread 1/3 of the remaining sauce and 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture, top with and 1/2 of the mozzarella and 1/3 of the Parmesan.
- Repeat layering, starting with 3-4 lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the sauce, 1/2 of the ricotta, 1/2 mozzarella and ending with 1/3 of the Parmesan.
- Place remaining 3-4 lasagna, spread with remaining sauce, top with rest of the parmesan.
- Cover with foil and tuck it around the edges of the baking dish.
- Bake 25 minutes, remove foil, bake uncovered another 25 minutes or until the Lasagna begins to bubble. Extra Mozzarella can also be sprinkled on the top during this last 25 minutes with the foil off. Cool for 15 minutes prior to serving.
Read NextSlow Cooker Lasagna
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Nov 28, 2011
Hello PamK, Thanks for sharing! We're glad you like the recipe!
Nov 25, 2011
This is just exact to the recipe I have used for years. (sometimes I cheat, and have used a jar sauce, but add a can of diced tomatoes) My family loves it, and it is a requested dish from all of them. I even had a handyman fixing my front door request it as payment for his services! LOL (friend of my son-in-law, and heard about the Lasagna I make.) A little extra Mozz on top never hurt!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use