Becky’s Eggplant Parmesan
No frying, no oil, no problem! This recipe is so easy and much lighter than a noodle heavy lasagna. I think that allows for a bigger portion!
- 2 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on two baking sheets, sprinkle with the onion slices and garlic. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes on each side.
In a 9x9 inch PerfectSlice baking pan spread the marinara to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with the onion slices and garlic. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil and oregano on top.
Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
Using the PerfectSlice slicer, cut between the 4th and 5th marks (exactly halfway) in each direction to make 4 large equal slices. Or cut on every third mark across and down for 9 smaller portions.
Read NextItalian-Style Ground Beef Skillet