Colcannon is a traditional Irish staple, usually served during the holidays. This colcannon recipe is so delicious and simple that you'll want to make it all year round!
- 1lb cabbage cored, quartered and shredded
- 2lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 2
- 2 small leeks (white and pale green parts only) washed and sliced
- 1C milk
- 1/2 t ground mace
- 8T + 2T butter
- salt and pepper
1. In separate pans, cook cabbage and potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, 12-15 min.
2. Drain cabbage and chop, drain potatoes and mash. Meanwhile, combine leeks and milk and cook over med, heat until tender, 8-10 min. Add potatoes, salt, pepper and mace to leeks and milk and stir over low heat until blended.
3. Add cabbage and 8 tablespoon butter and stir again to the consistency of mashed potatoes. Dot with remaining butter. Serve at once!
Read NextBoxty Irish Potato Cakes
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Feb 28, 2017
What is not to like about this recipe? It is a great version of Colcannon that would taste great as a side dish to a nice Filet Mignon, baked chicken or tilapia. Add some Irish Soda Bread and maybe some garlic green beans and a yummy dinner would ensue! You could use this menu idea for St. Patrick's Day instead of Corned Beef and Cabbage or choose to celebrate March as Irish month and cook fun Irish meals throughout the month. Decorate your house and have some folks over to eat great food!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use