A favorite in my family, Dublin coddle is one of the tastiest Irish food recipes you'll find. We keep it in our collection of Saint Patrick's Day recipes so that we can make it for the holiday, but we tend to serve it once a month in the cooler weather.
Looking for more terrific Irish food recipes? Check out our collection of Saint Patrick's Day Recipes: 8 Fresh Ideas for Dinner today!
Cooking Time1 hr
- 1 1/2 pound pork sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pound smoked ham, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 quart boiling water
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the sausage and ham in the boiling water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain, but reserve the liquid.
- Put the meat into a large saucepan (or an ovenproof dish) with the onions, potatoes, and parsley.
- Add enough of the liquid to not quite cover the contents.
- Cover the pot and simmer gently for about 1 hour, or until the liquid is reduced by half and all ingredients are cooked but not mushy.
- You may need to remove the lid. during the last half of the cooking process.
- Season. Serve hot with the vegetables on top and fresh Irish Soda Bread and a glass of stout..
Read NextBoxty Irish Potato Cakes
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use
Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.