Armenian Pumpkin Stew
Enjoy spice-laden Armenian Pumpkin Stew for a true taste of the Caucasus. This recipe serves 4-6, and when you talk about pumpkin recipes soup is at the top of the list of tasty ones!
Cooking Time3 hr 10 min
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 clove
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, cored and seeded
- 1 acorn squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 quarts chicken or beef broth
- 1 large pumpkin, about 5 pounds, cleaned
- 1 cup uncooked Basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup minced coriander leaves
- 3/4 cup minced parsley leaves
1. Combine coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin and clove in a spice mill or coffee grinder. Grind until smooth. Set aside. Head a tbs of oil in large, heavy-bottom saucepan. Add the lamb in one layer. Sprinkle with the spice mixture. Seer over medium heat until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Remove the lamb from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Saute, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, celery root, tomatoes, and acorn squash. Add the broth. Return lamb to the pan. Partly cover and gently simmer until the lamb is tender, about 1.5 to 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pumpkin on a baking sheet. Brush the outside with the remaining oil. Bake until tender, about 45 to 60 minutes. Cook the rice according to package directions, set aside.
4. To assemble, place the pumpkin in a serving dish. Fill with the lamb stew. Divide the rice among 4 warmed bowls. Ladle the stew from the pumpkin over the rice. Garnish with coriander and parsley. Serve immediately.
Read NextShrimp Pad See Ew