Calico Bean Soup Mix
Preparation Time15 min
- 4 tablespoons lima beans, large
- 3 tablespoons lima beans, small
- 3 tablespoons red kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons great northern beans
- 2 tablespoons split peas, yellow
- 2 tablespoons split peas, green
- 2 quarts white beans, small
- 2 tablespoons lentils
- 2 tablespoons black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons navy beans
- 2 tablespoons black turtle beans
- 2 tablespoons cranberry beans
- 2 tablespoons barley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried onions
- 1 teaspoon dried bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
To make the soup mix, combine the beans and place in plastic bag. Place the spices in a small plastic bag. Include the following recipe:
Calico Bean Soup
- Package of beans
- Packet of spices
- Hambone, hamhock or 1/2 pound of ham
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 28 ounce can tomatoes or 2 14-1/2 ounce cans
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- If desired, omit ham and substitute beef, chicken, or vegetable stock for the cooking water.
- Wash beans thoroughly. Place in a large kettle, cover with water and soak overnight.
- Next day, drain beans and cover with new water.
- Bring beans to a boil and once a hard boil starts, boil for 10 mins. Drain.
- Add 2 quarts of new water and ham or ham hock (or use broth if omitting ham) and ginger.
- Simmer slowly for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Then add spice packet, onion, tomatoes (undrained), lemon juice and salt to taste (spice packet contains no salt).
- Simmer another 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Take ham from soup. Remove any bits of ham from bone and return to soup. If using boneless ham, cut into bite-size pieces and return to soup. Serve.
NOTES : Substitute beans freely; use Anasazi beans, pink beans, red beans, etc. There should be approximately 1 pound of beans in all.
Read NextEasy Bisquick Substitute