Non collapsible Cheese Souffle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set pan of water in oven. Prepare an
- 8 cups couffle dish (4" to 5" high). Butter dish and sprinkle with
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs. Cook 2 1/2 tablespoons butter and
- 3 tablespoons flour together slowly to make roux (foamy and frothy).
- Pour 3/4 cup scalded milk into roux, stirring with wire whisk, cook
- until thick. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, dash each pepper and nutmeg.
- Add 3 egg yolks to sauce.
Beat 6 egg whites (3/4 cup), add dash salt and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, continue beating until soft peaks form. Put big dolop of egg white into sauce. Add 1 cup grated Swiss chees (Gruyere) or 1 cup chopped seafood. Fold egg whites into sauce. Fill mold to 2/3. Set in pan of water in oven. Bake 1 hr. to 1 hr. 15 minutes. Can leave in warm oven for 1/2 hr. if necessary. Serves 6 to 8
Read NextSeasoned Butter Spread