Million Dollar Pound Cake
This moist pound cake recipe will become an instant classic in your household in no time. Serve it with fruit and whipped cream, or try it drizzled with the orange glaze recipe we've included. This delicious orange pound cake complements a cup of tea or coffee perfectly. Moist, dense and subtlely sweet pound cake is the perfect vessle for a luscious orange glaze. Serve this pound cake at tea time for a wonderfully sweet afternoon treat, or a plan a fancy luncheon with your relatives or church group and impress them with your baking skills. This Million Dollar Pound Cake recipe will impress no matter the occasion.
- If you don’t have an orange handy, or don’t want that flavor in the glaze, use 2 tablespoons milk or cream and a few drops of vanilla. Or make the juice you need by putting 1 teaspoon frozen orange juice concentrate into 2 tablespoons water and mixing.
- To enhance the orange flavor, add ½ teaspoon very finely grated orange zest.
Do you love orange-flavored desserts? Try these adorable miniature Orange Creamsicle Cake Bites. They're the perfect size for sweet snacking!
Cooking Time1 hr 45 min
- For the cake:
- 1 pound butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or orange extract
- For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (see note)
- Tiny pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Generously spray a Bundt pan well with cooking spray, then wipe out excess with a paper towel, leaving a film over the whole surface, especially in the crevices.
- In the large mixer bowl, place the butter and sugar and beat on medium until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides once or twice.
- With the machine running on medium speed, add the eggs one at a time and then add the flour and the milk in thirds, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape down the sides and mix in any dry ingredients and stir in the flavorings.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, and gently tap the pan on the work surface once or twice to remove any bubbles in the batter.
- Bake for 1 ¾ hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then release the sides from the pan using a dull butter knife – work the knife down the sides and around the tube very gently so you do not scratch any non-stick surface on the pan.
- Invert onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. When cake is cooled, mix the powdered sugar and salt with juice until it is very smooth and pourable. Spread with an offset spatula or drizzle the glaze in a decorative pattern. Store at room temperature, lightly covered with plastic wrap.
Looking for more recipes like this orange pound cake? Try our collection, 10 Homemade Pound Cake Recipes.
Read NextLazy Cherry Dump Cake