Sweet Potato Beignets
Sweet Potato Beignets (fried doughnuts) are just the right combination of sophisticated sweetness and deep-fried crunch. This was the recipe that changed my mind about sweet potatoes!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- oil, enough to deep fry
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add egg yolks to milk, mix well.
- Add the sweet potatoes and mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter.
- Heat oil until very hot.
- Drop batter by spoonful into deep oil.
- Beignets will float and pop over when done. Remove when light brown.
- Sprinkle with the powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.
Read NextNew Orleans Dirty Rice