Amazing Beer Baked Beans
If you want to try a different take on the popular baked beans recipe, try this amazing beer baked beans recipe. We put a new spin on an old classic with one of our make ahead picnic recipes, perfect for preparing ahead of time and then taking to a party or enjoying later.
- For more great picnic recipes, be sure to read How to Have a Great Picnic with the 15 Best Picnic Recipes.
- This recipe was featured in 16 Easy Potluck Recipes, a compilation of the very best potluck recipes. Check out the article for 15 other easy potluck recipes!
Cooking Time8 hr
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 1 pound Jacob's Cattle Beans
- 1 pound lean salt pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup honey
- 12 ounces beer
- Cover beans with water and soak overnight, drain.
- Add salt pork to beans and cover with enough water to boil.
- Boil beans till skin splits.
- Drain, remove salt pork and cut into 2-inch cubes and score them.
- Mix all the other ingredients together and add to beans.
- Place in slow cooker and add enough water to cover beans.
- Add the salt pork; cover and cook on low temperature for 8 hours.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
sweetumsmom1 83958 16
May 21, 2012
This sounds yummy!
Mar 03, 2011
Hello Johndeersey, I'm not sure exactly where it's sold, though I know you can find them online. I say you can substitute with any dried red bean. But cattle beans literally look like a spotted cow, with red/brown and white colors. Thanks!
Mar 02, 2011
Where Can You Get Jacob's Cattle Beans At I have never heard of them?
Mar 03, 2016
Jacob's cattle beans are an heirloom bean. They are very attractive, large sort of kidney shaped speckled beans. I've seem them at Whole Foods and independent organic stores. You don't have to have these beans, but they make quite a presentation if you can get them! Sometimes they're called trout bean, Dalmatian bean, or Appaloosa bean.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use