Sweet and Sour Stir Fry Chicken
Sweet and Sour Stir-Fry Chicken is a great quick and easy version of the Chinese food classic. Using pre-made sweet and sour sauce (available in the Asian section of the grocery store) makes this one a super simple dish.
Variations: Omit water chestnuts and add almonds, peanuts or cashews. Add drained pineapple chunks. Add 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 ounces boned and skinned chicken breast, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed or 9 ounces frozen snap peas
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3/4 cup sweet and sour stir-fry sauce
- Scallions, sliced for garnish
- Put cornstarch in a plastic food bag. Add chicken and toss to coat. Heat oil in a large, preferably nonstick, skillet over med-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add chicken and stir-fry 3-4 min. until golden brown on all sides. Remove to a bowl with slotted spoon.
- Add bell-pepper, snap peas and water chestnuts to drippings in skillet. Stir-fry 2-3 min. or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Pour in stir-fry sauce and return chicken to skillet. Stir to coat chicken and vegetables. Garnish with scallions.